29 Nisan 2013 Pazartesi

Second Article Reflection of Second Term


       In the article titled "Supersize Me", the writer argues whether overweight people should be blamed for their size or not and states that the real culprit is the so-called “obesogenic” environment to cause an upsurge in obesity at early ages. I totally agree with her because I believe that attitudes of families and negative conditions provided by environment are most triggering factors causing obesity. For instance, I was an obese patient during my childhood and these factors had influenced weight gain in my body until I became conscious and began to lose weight healthy. Firstly, the more generously parents exhibit attitude about nutritional habits of their children, the more inevitably children become prone to obesity. They are encouraged by parents saying always “unless you eat, you cannot thrive”, then contract obesity even at early ages. For example, when I was three my grandmother made me to eat fatty foods and sweets persistently because she thought that I was so feeble. However, I became chowhound in time and suffered from obesity. Unfortunately, I was blamed for being overweight by other people during my childhood. Like me, almost all “chubby” kids are obliged to pay for their excess weight mercilessly. In order to avoid this damaging situation for mental health of children, parents should be more sensitive about the issue. Secondly, the “obesogenic” environment makes obesity inescapable nowadays. It becomes more effective owing to easy availability of calorie-dense foods and inadequate implementations of government about the issue. As the writer states, modern-day families prefer convenience foods and restaurants use more high-calorie food products and present menus with bigger portions. This type of unhealthy diet through taking the easy way out causes uncontrolled weight gain, which creates unhealthy generations. When it comes to governments, they always try to take precautions in order to head the raise of obesity off. For example, the Turkish government recently has proposed a tax boost on fast food prices to decrease the fast food consumption. I think that such implementations have no deterrent effect on the issue and are not exact solution. Even if prices increase, some people will continue to eat hamburger or pizza, of course. Governments should find more permanent and effective ways to provide entire public health. To sum up, when obesity is perceived as a serious problem, the underlying causes such as attitude of parents and unfavorable effects of environment should be consider. We never can get rid of the disease just ignoring treatable conditions and blaming overweight people for their size.  

2 yorum:

  1. Deat Özge,
    I really liked your article reflection. It was written very carefully and full of your own ideas. You gave specific examples about yourself, which made me keep on reading it. About your topic, I agree with you. Parents as well as goverments had better take precautions on the issue of obesity. Otheerwise, like America we will be a obesite country, too. Your journal was written nearly without grammar mistakes. However, last sentence in your concluding paragraph you should put a conjunction, and also I think it should be " should be considered". To sum up, I think you did a really good job. Your ideas were organized very carefully and it was full of your ideas and your real life examples and your solutions. I really liked your reflection. Thanks for your all effort. :)

    YanıtlaSil
  2. Hi Özge,
    While reading your article reflection, I admired your ideas and writing style. Firstly,the ideas that you shared with us are very right. Therefore, I agree with you, because I do not believe there is an obesogenic environment. Secondly, I could not finf any grammar mistake. Good job! Thank you for this nice article reflection :)

    YanıtlaSil